Saturday 21 September 2013

#DeathByJoy

courtesy Google







Shinning light at the edge of the horizon. A breakthrough finally strolls in.
beep… beep…! The life support echoes a steady paced indication that he still is breathing. Counting his remaining minutes of pain and anguish.
He couldn’t be more excited to be in this day.  The last day of life… the first day of his smiles.
For the first time in five years I see him excited on his sick bed. His weak eyes glanced at me with a dim stare of lifelessness but full of joy.
The four of us standing around his bed in silence. None dared say a word or shed a tear or even show a streak of smile. Though he was happy, we were not but… what could we do? He had requested that we be there while the plugs are pulled out from the socket. He made us sign as witnesses to the document that authorized it.
Having known him for a life time and have always been there for each other since we were kids, I couldn’t deny him this moment that would make him happier than he has ever been in a long while. I kept thinking to myself what happens next without him. Can I just get along life pretending this never happened? Or that he never existed? …the thought of many options leaves me with an aching head. I’m not concerned about the other three standing alongside myself.
Then the doctors come in. Three in number. Two with us, one at the switch. He (the switch-doctor) looked at him for confirmation, got it… then looked at us standing. We reluctantly give a nod. Then…
beep… beep… beep… beep… beep… beep… beep… beep… beep… beeeeep… beeeeep… bep… beeeeeeeeeeeeeee…………..
Time of death: 0745hrs

3 comments: